libraryweb - [Libraryweb] Newsletter

libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Library Web <libweb AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: libraryweb AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Libraryweb] Newsletter
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:00:02 -0400

Library Web (UK)

Library Culture on the Web

http://www.libraryweb.info

Wednesday 24 September 2008

7 days of library news:

Libraries more than an 'ace caff'
"Caroline Moss-Gibbons"
theBookseller.com, Tuesday 23 September 2008

Unbelievably shocking
"books for children"
The Good Library blog, Tuesday 23 September 2008

ALIA Endnote
"Library Challenges: The BIG Stuff"
Stephen's Lighthouse, Tuesday 23 September 2008

Tasmania
"Knowledge, Information and the 21st Century"
Stephen's Lighthouse, Tuesday 23 September 2008

Code4Lib Journal Announces Publication of Issue 4
LISWire, Tuesday 23 September 2008

Google Books now embeddable
LISNews, Tuesday 23 September 2008

"My documents" will be renamed "Libraries" in Windows 7
LISNews, Tuesday 23 September 2008

How council strike will affect you
"Scotland"
BBC News, Tuesday 23 September 2008

Internet Librarian International - discounted rate available until 26th September
Karen Blakeman's Blog, Tuesday 23 September 2008

Technology Doesn't Dumb Us Down. It Frees Our Minds.
(Via Library Link of the Day.)
The New York Times, Tuesday 23 September 2008

Kindle a game changer?
theBookseller.com, Monday 22 September 2008

A new Act of Parliament for Public Libraries
"jungle drums"
The Good Library blog, Monday 22 September 2008

hakia Issues Open Call to Librarians and Information Professionals: Help Us Guide Web Searchers to Credible Web Sites
LISWire, Monday 22 September 2008

The Library Cat Who Touched the World
"Dewey bio"
LISNews, Monday 22 September 2008

Legally, should Libraries NOT be Using Flickr?
(US law.)
LISNews, Monday 22 September 2008

Libraries, book cover images, and websites, oh my!
"the LibraryLaw Blog" (US law.)
LISNews, Monday 22 September 2008

Dewey overdue for a makeover, librarians say
LISNews, Monday 22 September 2008

Mobile Library and Advice Bus
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Monday 22 September 2008

Libraries: Just books or a community service?
Letters.
Times Online, Monday 22 September 2008

In the public interest
"public trust and professional conduct"
From the Chief Executive's Desk, Monday 22 September 2008

50 greatest villains in literature
(Via Library Journal's Library News from the Web.)
Telegraph, Monday 22 September 2008

"Making Books" video from 1947
LISNews, Sunday 21 September 2008

Katy Guest: Who ever heard of a librarian who didn't say 'Sssshhh'?
"Hillingdon" (Via Google News.)
The Independent, Sunday 21 September 2008

Encyclopedia Britannica: Modernization in Moderation
(Via Library Link of the Day.)
E-Commerce Times, Sunday 21 September 2008

Council pay row referred to Acas
BBC News, Saturday 20 September 2008

A Great Slogan, In My Book
"a city with a great library..."
LISNews, Saturday 20 September 2008

Is it Information Overload or Filter Failure?
"Web 2.0 Expo"
iLibrarian, Saturday 20 September 2008

Speak up! Libraries turn new page
"London"
BBC News, Friday 19 September 2008

Buckinghamshire to close even more libraries
The Good Library blog, Friday 19 September 2008

Camden council looks foolish
"The Times today"
The Good Library blog, Friday 19 September 2008

Next-Gen E-Readers Arrive
LISNews, Friday 19 September 2008

Adult non-fiction zones
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Friday 19 September 2008

Wireless in Libraries
Information request.
lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries, Friday 19 September 2008

Readers join forces to tackle Spook stories
"Lancashire" (Via Google News.)
guardian.co.uk, Friday 19 September 2008

Brighton and Hove impose pushchair parking fee for parents
(Via Google News.)
Times Online, Friday 19 September 2008

We need books to sink our teeth into, not burgers
(Via Google News.)
Times Online, Friday 19 September 2008

More than noise and food: public libraries in the Times
"this morning's Times"
Tom Roper's Weblog, Friday 19 September 2008

New Hitchhiker: Is Fowl fair?
"And Another Thing"
theBookseller.com, Friday 19 September 2008

'Library Diaries' still topic of interest
"Sally Stern-Hamilton"
ResourceShelf, Friday 19 September 2008

New Music by Mozart Found in Library
"Nantes"
ResourceShelf, Friday 19 September 2008

The End
"Have We Reached the End of Book Publishing As We Know It?" (Via Library Link of the Day.)
New York Magazine, Friday 19 September 2008

De Botton offers 'book prescriptions'
"a new-style bookshop"
theBookseller.com, Thursday 18 September 2008

Publishers push on with age guidance
theBookseller.com, Thursday 18 September 2008

Which films are better than the books they are based on?
LISNews, Thursday 18 September 2008

Library fees ''money making exercise'
"Warwickshire"
Leamington Spa Today, Thursday 18 September 2008

Can RFID get it together to jump the chasm?
Panlibus, Thursday 18 September 2008

Can games make your kid a better citizen?
US study. (Via Library Link of the Day.)
MSNBC, Thursday 18 September 2008

Fan-site spat over new Hitchhiker
"And Another Thing"
theBookseller.com, Wednesday 17 September 2008

High textbook prices changing publisher habits
LISNews, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Cites and Insights 8:10 (October 2008) available
LISNews, Wednesday 17 September 2008

My kind of parking garage!
Library buildings.
LISNews, Wednesday 17 September 2008

10 Books Not To Read Before You Die
LISNews, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Australian libraries to lend sporting equipment
LISNews, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Yes, library really is made of straw
"sustainable building methods" (Via Google News.)
Halifax Today, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Pounds 14m revamp for historic library
"Kensington"
London Informer, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Google Audio Indexing - GAUDI
Phil Bradley's weblog, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Websites to support Reader Development
Andrew Eynon's Library Blog, Wednesday 17 September 2008

LJ Talks to Vicki Myron
"librarian author of Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World"
Library Journal, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Libraries Designed for Kids
New title. (Via News from CILIP eBulletin.)
CILIP, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Know it All, Find it Fast: An A-Z source guide for the enquiry desk, 3rd edn
New title. (Via News from CILIP eBulletin.)
CILIP, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Libraries and Information Services in the UK and Republic of Ireland
New title. (Via News from CILIP eBulletin.)
CILIP, Wednesday 17 September 2008

The Future of Copyright
CATO Unbound, Wednesday 17 September 2008

New Hitchhiker's author announced
"Eoin Colfer"
BBC News, Wednesday 17 September 2008

Beautiful, perfect, supreme chunk of paper
"Another electronic book reader has arrived..."
BBC News, Wednesday 17 September 2008