labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Figs not Pawpaws

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@hotmail.com>
  • To: Ontario Fruit Explorers <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Figs not Pawpaws
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:34:16 +0000

Hi B & T et al,

I kept my figs in small room (2.5'x4', styro-insulated to R10) in my unheated unattached garage. Two sides of the room were on house walls, and the other two faced the garage. Over the winter, the garage temp hit -10C, my room, probably -5 (can't say for sure because my lost thermometer transmitter (thanks son) was in the garage and not the room. I lost one turkish brown, a one season cutting that was in a one gallon pot. I assume it froze, but it could have been desiccation; it was dry when I moved the plants outside. I did water all plants once in early Feb. Two pomegranates in three gal containers did survive whereas the two pomegranates that I planted in protected spots by my house appear dead. The figs in 5 gal + containers all survived: Turkish Browns, Cal King, Excel, Capellas, and Angelo's Graden Centre variety.

I kept the figs dormant until about 2 weeks ago when I moved them outside. They are now flushing with fig development at the nodules. I didn't want to take any chances with the tender growth, so I moved them into my greenhouse (temp of -2) last night. There was frost on the roofs the night before as there was last night. No damage either night. I expect more frost tonight. My mother left her flushing Turk Brown outside but move it next to her house - also no damage.

I want to delay my fig revival as much as possible to avoid the work that Tom is now experiencing, and to make my Breba crop as productive and sweet as possible. I found that premature awakening and leaf development indoors was not too beneficial for the fruit, or the plant as most of the early leaves were bleached by the sun and desiccated by the wind.

jmb