labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Asimina Triloba

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Asimina Triloba
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:39:31 -0400

Hi Joe
I bought a length of light weight 2-3" PCV pipe, hack sawed it into 15"" approx sections. About Feb , filled with medium placed the pipe pieces on a rack (for drainage & air root pruning), inserted seed approx 1" below surface & watered lightly every few days. Kept in my furnace room (dark) until growth appeared then moved the tubes with grow appearing into dappled light, gradually moving to lighter areas as new growth greened up.
Trouble came when time to remove long rooted plant from long tube into ground without damaging root too much. I have now come across a much better "tube" except that I gave them all to a chap near Quebec city, never feeling I'd have use for them
Thanks, I'll pass on the offer of scions at this time. If I change my mind I'll ask. With 150+ varieties of grapes- am sort of busy.

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:27 PM
Bert, the question was intended for you, so, thanks for answering.  Joe B does not grow pawpaw.  In fact, he was at my home yesterday night tasting pawpaw for the first time in his life ….

Anyway, as I mentioned before, I have a few named cultivars so let me know if you’re interested in scionwood and I’ll gladly oblige.

Bert, do you want to explain what you meant below by “No problems except removal from the grow tube due to long tap root”.  The ‘grow tube’; what are the dimensions, did you burry it in the ground right to the top of the tube, etc, etc?

Joe C.