labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Keepers Nursery & Creemore Apple Festival

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Keepers Nursery & Creemore Apple Festival
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 06:59:51 -0400

Biz

What is the address of theevent?

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: labruscagrape-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:labruscagrape-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Biz Storms
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:58 AM
To: 'Ontario Fruit Explorers'
Subject: [OFEX] Keepers Nursery & Creemore Apple Festival

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/appleday.aspx

Hey folks,

If you follow this link to Keepers Nursery, there's another link to find a
recent article about them. It's a lovely article with great pictures. Plus,
snaps of two types of beautiful pears - I thought of you, Joe.

Things are getting rather busy this week. Last March a couple of us formed
the Creemore Heritage Apple Society, and this weekend we are holding our
first annual Apple Festival in conjunction with the Farmer's Market. Margie
is being incredibly supportive and is driving apple donations from the
Genebank all the way to the farm!!! We are receiving 11 quart baskets of 29
different varieties which will be the basis of our cider making demo.
Fortunately, we have a press with a power grinder. An apple tasting booth
will also benefit from Margie's apples, and we will set up an apple viewing
booth, as well. We now have 75 varieties from our place, 6 more from two
other orchards, plus another 24 or 25 from Margie's donation that don't
duplicate ours. We should have at least 105 apple for viewing, unless a few
more are found by Friday. The crowd pleaser should be the pie baking booth.
We have placed several notices and benfitted from an article in the local
paper about the contest - with three well known, local "personalities" as
judges. Pies are to arrive between 9 and 10 am, judging from 10 to 11 ( with
extra time if needed ) and winners, to be awarded rosette ribbons, to be
announced at 12. We're keeping our fingers crossed for at least 15 to 20
pies, but would be thrilled to see loads more. The advance work has been
fairly intense - but it should be really fun. Who knows - maybe in five
years, we'll have enough varieties on display to match what Harry Burton
does on Salt Spring every Oct. I'll have my daughter help me load pictures
after the event to share the day with the group.

Cheers, Bizmark.