labruscagrape - [OFEX] Pears and Apples

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@hotmail.com>
  • To: labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [OFEX] Pears and Apples
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:42:50 +0000

Hello people,

I have found a bit more room and wish to expand my jungle a bit.

Does anyone here have a source for Seckel Pears or Pixie Crunch Apple? I have been looking for a couple of years - to no avail. Woodwinds used to have a standard seckel - but they are now out of business. (Tom, do you have Sherri's contact info?)

Failing young whips, my next choice would be scion wood. Since my grafting experience is limited (only a few splice grafts on apple and cherry), I'd be open to advice both on the grafting and the rootstalk, specifically for the pear. And 2ndly, where can I get the rootstalks - looking for about six M-9 or P-22, and a few dwarfing ones for the pear (what kind?).

In spite of the nice summy summer, my figs have been slow to develop. I have only had about 6 that have matured normally. I oiled the larger ones about 2 weeks ago, and now have at least 3 dozen ready for harvest. I have noticed that the size of the oiled ones is smaller than the natural ripes. I'll be tasting this weekend.

Still waiting for rain. Minimal amounts in the last two months. More black berries dried up than were eaten. Even though the tomatoes got water, just over half ripened properly; the bottoms are still green.

ttfn

Enter to win a night a VIP night out at TIFF

  • [OFEX] Pears and Apples, John Barbowski, 08/31/2007