labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Scions

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Scions
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:34:49 -0500

Hi Tom,

I also dip the ends in wax to seal in the moisture, but haven’t heard about the soaking portion. Out of curiosity, does this impact their state of dormancy at all? I usually bring the scions in from being pruned, and try and have the candle wax ready for dipping almost immediately. The scions usually stay on the porch or in the unheated garage for the fifteen to twenty minutes. Once the scion’s ends are dipped in the wax, you don’t have to add a damp piece of anything to their storage bag. I have had scions stored in the fridge until end of summer, using this method, and almost all are free from the mold that often occurs when they are stored with open ends and a piece of something damp. I learned this technique from Shelly Paulocik, who learned it from Fred Janson.

While I am back from my mini retreat to the States, I won’t be north to the farm until Friday. Our teenage rower will fall off the bus late tonight, so going north for one day  doesn’t make much sense. Besides, I need a few more days to prepare myself for the full extent of the bunny damage. I hear they taste nice with a little garlic and Dijon mustard? ;-)  At least the deer left us alone.

Cheers, Bizmark.