labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Grafting

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Grafting
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:35:52 -0500

Hello to all,

After mega computer hassles I am finally able to get back on-line and in
touch with the world. Hooray!

As a spin-off from the nafex discussion on grafting and tape, I have a
question about whether anyone has tried a saddle graft? I have given it a
go, but the scionwood was iffy and likely destined to fail regardless of the
graft. In theory, the saddle graft provides double the cambium contact of a
splice graft, so should be as effective, or even more so. And, with softer
wood, you can really pull in the sides for effective contact. But, it's not
often mentioned - too many cuts? Too fiddly?

Also, I was touring through a website for a nursery last a few weeks back,
and was startled to see that they used cleft grafts for all their bench
grafting, instead of slice or whip and tongue. And this was for regular 3/16
or 1/4 inch rootstock. It seemed like the logical way to proceed when you
have size discrepancies. Does anyone have experience(s) with cleft grafting
of all size or age tree to share? If you were top working a seven year old,
profusion crab, over to eight to ten different new varieties, would you go
for a bark or veneer graft, or a cleft graft, when the braches are 3/4 to 1
1/2 inches in diameter? Plus, how about Lac Balsam to cover the exposed
areas?

Thanks, Bizmark

p.s. For those who are getting Ashmead's Kernel from me, it will be sent out
in the next two weeks. I am trying to locate snow shoes to strap on and
gather scionwood this weekend, so I'll stop falling through the icy surface
of knee and thigh high snow. The bruises from my attempts last weekend are
now finally fading. ;-)