labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Bird?

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "joe calico" <jcalico@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Bird?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:04:44 -0400

. I don't know the answer to the first question.
. Yes, they do feed off flowers. I've personally seen them feed off
flowering almond blossoms (pink). In the last few years they always
visit my canna lilies in the summer (Streetsville). I note that they
only feed off of a variety of canna called 'Stuttgart' because the
trumpet flowers are rather small, stringy and shallow and thus do not
interfere with the hovering as he reaches down with his beak. The
colour of this canna is peach/coral colour. I'm certain the reason they
do not feed off the other canna varieties that I have (red, yellow,
pink) is not because of the colour but rather because the flowers are
rather large with deep throats so that the hovering hummingbird cannot
reach the deep pocket where the nectar resides.

Joe C