labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Plum Seedling

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@hotmail.com>
  • To: labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Plum Seedling
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 16:08:56 +0000

Hi Tom,

I noticed with the asian pear that I sprouted from seed that the primary leaves were different from the subsequent sprouts. They had an indentation that resembled a mulberry leaf, and were a little elongated. I don't know about plums, but perhaps there is a trend here.

I had a seedling sprout where I deposited about a dozen apricot pips. Three years later, a sprout appeared. The leaves did not resemble an apricot, however the bark did bear some resemblance. I transplanted it to a different location last fall and it is now thriving. The primaries weer the same as the secondaries. Still don't know if it is an apricot or not - but indications point to it. The leaves are lighter in color compared to my Harcot and about twice the size - whatever that means.

As a forester, we learned there are many native trees that are confusing if one goes just from the leaf characteristics. That is why identifications are ususally is done from dormant stems.

The serration on your leaf tips look 'plumish' - but cannot say. The leaves also appear a little large. I tried to enlarge the GIF but just got a fuzzy image. Feel welcome to send the orig .jpg offline.

Cheers!

jb