labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Wind

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Wind
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:11:57 -0400

Hey Tom,

It's such a frustration when these things happen, isn't it? The good part is that you still have some tree to work with, and there's still lots of summer left to have re-growth begin. It would be far more concerning to have this happen in September, since the tree would go into growth mode triggered by the "pruning", when it should be preparing for dormany. How has your inarching graft worked? Positive signs, I hope.

I head back to the farm tomorrow, and I'm almost afraid to see if any of my 240 plus baggies are still in place after those wonderful winds. Can't say what wind resistance the bags would create, but most of the bagged apples were around 3/4" to 1" in diameter with fairly thin stems, meaning they'll likely get pulled off when a bag goes airborn. I waited one day too late and the few apples on the Lubsk Queen, Freyburg and Early Joe that were in perfect shape on Friday, had been attacked by hungry pests by Saturday afternoon. Otherwise, should have a lovely tasting session with pristine apples, beginning mid August. I'll know better in two to three weeks about the numbers of varieties protected.

Our black currant bushes are also exploding with berries, just like two years ago. In 2003 we had "buckets" of berrries, so we located a recipe from a French gardening and cooking book, and put up some cassis. It was completed in two stages, and the finished product was an intense, aromatic syrup of black currant heaven. The commercial cassis tasted far less flavour packed, by comparison, and we managed to enjoy the homemade cassis till almost the following summer. Last year's crop was really quite dismal, even though we pruned the exact same way, and the birds stole just about everything since ripening really stuttered along due to fluctuating weather. But here's a question - assuming all factors being equal, do some fruit varieties experience biennial growth, rather like apples?

Will also check the progress of the various gooseberry bushes, especially after the gooseberry thread running on nafex.
Another question - this time regarding figs. We brought in six figs from Grimo this spring, and they also exploded last week with the heat. Will we see fruit this year, and if so, do we let it develop, or pluck off the works so the energy goes to roots and branches?

Cheers to all, Bizmark

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>