labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Harrow

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Harrow
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:03:44 -0500

Hey Tom, Bert and Jo,

Talk about how great minds think alike - I was chatting with Margie just a little earlier today about some apple stuff. And, yes, I'd be interested in a tour or two, as long as I can get spring jobs completed. My list seems endless.

Winter restlessness always gets me into trouble. Between large orders from Strawberry Tyme for raspberry canes ( hundreds ); nuts, mulberries and hickories from Grimo; 120 whips from Siloam for a small commercial venture; the regular kitchen garden plantings of fruits and veggies; upgrading a hill garden from bad soil to good earth; and ongoing chip budding, weeding, spraying, mulching, and so forth - well, I'm exhausted before I even start. But it's so excitig I can't wait to begin.

This weekend I spray - hopefully the weather forecast for Sunday remains sunny - or perhaps into Monday. It's either been too cold, too wet, or we've been absent. Once the weather breaks enough for the ground to soften, its transplant, transplant, transplant.

We installed a 24 x 40 foot nursey, all nicely fenced in with the cahin link fence buried 8" below ground level to keep the rabbits out. The voles just scamper through, so the wire mesh tree guards are for them. I've decided to renovate and move things around so the rows are more accessible. About half the trees are going out into the orchard, so it's the perfect time to shift and make tags for the trees and accurate maps for finding things next year. We also mistakenly put the rhubard inside the fence, so those babies are going elsewhere, since they spread like the dickens.

Speaking of tags and maps, I learned a neat trick from Shelley Paulocik, from Woodwinds. She actually writes the name of the variety on the whip with a sharpie pen. It lasts for at least the growing season, and usually the following as well. We had a bunch of whips that had the tags accidentally removed, and after digging down below the mulch, there were all the names, nicely written down the side of the whip. I made certain that I did the same thing with all the new whips that came in last year, only a little higher up, so it's easier to see. This year, I'll attempt to write the name on the same side of the whips, so I don't have to adopt a hands and knees approach to finding the name if the tag gets dislodged.

And to think this was going to be a quick message.

Cheers, Bizmark.

ps. I forgot to mention, we going to play around with growing figs this year - but in container pots. Any suggestions? Size, material, winter storage ???

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>