labruscagrape - Re: [LabruscaGrape] Concord Wine Experiment

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: Paul Bulas <pabls@yahoo.com>
  • To: "Exploring Labrusca grapes and making better wine with them." <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [LabruscaGrape] Concord Wine Experiment
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:30:41 -0400 (EDT)

Tom, I've done this.  I cannot say that you will get a drinkable (or very pleasant) wine by this process.

Often times, these juices are pasteurized, and the wine will come out smelling like overcooked strawberries.  Plus, it will be quite sour, since they often add ascorbic acid, etc.

I made pure varietal Concord wine last year from fresh grapes.  It came out much better, and quite different, than that made from the store-bought grape juice.

Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net> wrote:
Hello,

About the "foxy" flavor, try this experiment...

Go to your local supermarket and go to the organic section
and look for Concord grape juice with no preservatives. Buy
enough to make 1 gallon of wine (it will be pricey).

Use your standard process and see if the foxiness is
modified. If it is, it is a matter of modifying the must
prior to wine making.

Later,

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada