internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] question about hacktool.rootkit

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] question about hacktool.rootkit
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 11:43:50 -0400

Tripwire has both free and pay versions. I have not used the free
version in some time, so I do not know about how up-to-date it is.
Sophos HIPS is an "endpoint protection" product and will also cost
money. These are very good products and designed for (relative) ease
of use.

OSSEC is advanced, yet requires a bit of effort to install &
configure. I have installed it on Mac OS X and Unix systems, but not
Windows. It is available for Windows, however. First check to make
sure your system is supported:
http://www.ossec.net/main/supported-systems/

Then following the install docs should be relatively easy.
http://www.ossec.net/main/manual/manual-installation/ I believe there
are some free chapters available from the OSSEC book, in addition to
the provided documentation.

It is designed to send you alerts via email, but that would require
your system being set up to send email. You can skip this step and
instead choose to check OSSEC integrity on a manual basis. The
software is designed to alert when critical files are changed.

AIDE is similar to Tripwire, but is open source. It doesn't appear to
have a port to Windows. http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide.html

Using several of these products may be overkill, but setting up and
using OSSEC would probably be a good idea for anyone interested in
greater overall system security and integrity. I hope this info was
helpful!

David M.