internetworkers - [internetworkers] Fwd: Save Broadband in North Carolina

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Christian Stalberg" <cstalberg AT web-analysts.net>
  • To: Internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org:"http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Fwd: Save Broadband in North Carolina
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 17:38:58 -0400 (EDT)

On 05/28/2010 16:30 Catharine Rice <info AT freepress.net> wrote ..

Hi christian,

We've been on quite a roller coaster this week. A North Carolina Senate finance committee was set to vote on a bill that would make it next to impossible for towns and cities to create their own high-speed Internet networks. Thankfully, the bill was pulled from the agenda.

Well, guess what? The bill is back on, and the vote has been rescheduled for this Tuesday, June 1, at 1 p.m. It's urgent that you call the members of this committee — listed in the e-mail below — and urge them not to vote on this awful piece of legislation.

Pressure from activists like you has made all the difference. Please keep it coming. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Catherine Rice,
Cary, N.C.

Free Press Action Fund

Dear christian,

I've been working on broadband issues in North Carolina for years. Recently, I've been encouraged by community efforts to bring high-speed Internet services to the most underserved parts of our state.

But now a new bill -- pushed by companies like Time Warner Cable and AT&T -- threatens all of the progress we've made.

The so-called "No Nonvoted Local Debt for Competing System" bill (S.1209) would kill local efforts to connect more people across the state. The bill would ban municipal broadband networks that bring fast, affordable Internet services -- and more jobs -- to North Carolina communities that need them the most.

Will you join me in contacting the members of the Senate Finance Committee to tell them to vote no on this bad bill?

Please call or e-mail each member of the committee right away. Tell them: Don’t prevent communities from connecting more of their citizens. Vote NO on the "No Nonvoted Local Debt for Competing System" bill.

Name Phone E-mail
Sen. Martin L. Nesbitt, Jr.
(Senate majority leader)
(919) 715-3001 Martin.Nesbitt AT ncleg.net
Sen. Daniel Gray Clodfelter
(chair)
(919) 715-8331 Daniel.Clodfelter AT ncleg.net
Sen. Larry Shaw
(co-chair)
(919) 733-9349 Larry.Shaw AT ncleg.net
Sen. R.C. Soles, Jr. (919) 733-5963 RC.Soles AT ncleg.net
Sen. Anthony E. Foriest (919) 301-1446 Tony.Foriest AT ncleg.net
Sen. Margaret H. Dickson (919) 733-5776 Margaret.Dickson AT ncleg.net
Sen. Charles W. Albertson (919) 733-5705 Charlie.Albertson AT ncleg.net
Sen. Linda Garrou (919) 733-5620 Linda.Garrou AT ncleg.net
Sen. Don Vaughan (919) 733-5856 Don.Vaughan AT ncleg.net
Sen. Charlie Smith Dannelly (919) 733-5955 Charlie.Dannelly AT ncleg.net
Sen. Steve Goss (919) 733-5742 Steve.Goss AT ncleg.net
Sen. Jean R. Preston (919) 733-5706 Jean.Preston AT ncleg.net

The big phone and cable companies like Time Warner Cable and AT&T are working overtime to ram this bill through the state Senate, telling legislators to vote against the public interest and leave the future of the Internet to them, not us.

We can't let that happen. Please call the members of the committee now and tell them: North Carolina communities need the freedom to create their own broadband networks.

Thanks so much,

Catharine Rice
Cary, N.C.

Want to learn more? Join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

If you haven't already, you can also join our E-Activist list.

You ( cstalberg AT ccalternatives.org) are receiving this e-mail as an opt-in subscriber to Free Press' E-Activist Network. You can unsubscribe or manage your account at any time.

OUR SITES: StopBigMedia.com SavetheInternet.com InternetforEveryone.org
donate now
Free Press Action Fund is a national, nonpartisan organization working to reform the media. Learn more at www.freepress.net

  • [internetworkers] Fwd: Save Broadband in North Carolina, Christian Stalberg, 05/28/2010