internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Any Squirrel Success Stories?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kristen James Eberlein <keberlein AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Any Squirrel Success Stories?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:50:50 -0500

Try Critter Control
http://triangle.crittercontrol.com/

Kris Eberlein

Scott Chilcote wrote:
Hello Internetworkers,

Despite the fact that we had our siding replaced with fiber cement and most of our trim replaced last Fall, squirrels have found a way into our chimney.

They are not inside the flue pipe itself. They're working on building a nest between the pipe and the chimney surround. We can hear them scratching around from our fireplace. Some paint & wallboard flakes have fallen down through the small gap between the front of the fireplace insert and the mantlepiece. When I pound on the mantlepiece, I can hear them squawk sometimes.

I've been holding them off by tossing in a fireplace log and lighting up when I hear them. This clears them out. But they come back as soon as it cools down. They also seem to have relocated a couple of times, from the way the source of the noise they make has changed.

So far they are winning. To make matters worse, we are both busy up to our eyebrows with work, caring for an elderly relative, and preparing to move.

I've heard the advice regarding humane traps, but it would be worth it to me to bring in someone with more experience to deal with this problem.

If I knew for certain how they were getting in, I'd figure out how to block it off. I have scanned the exterior with binoculars and walked all over the roof, and everything seems intact.

Has anyone had a good experience with someone who evicts squirrels professionally?

Thanks much!

Scott C. in Cary
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/