internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Moving Questions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott G. Hall" <ScottGHall AT BellSouth.Net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Moving Questions
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:31:40 -0500

Scott Chilcote wrote:
After 14 years at the same place, we've decided to move to a new home in the Triangle. You have to admit, real estate prices are pretty good right now.

If anyone has a local mover they can recommend - or one to avoid, please let me know.

DO NOT USE TWO MEN AND A TRUCK! We used them to move from an apartment to
our house, and they refused to pack well ("It's just going local, we don't
have to pack like your moving across states"), and broke many things. They
don't understand expensive but delicate electronics -- how to pack them,
how to handle them, and and their comments were much like "well we don't
know much about them, how could we know it can't be shaken like that".
They have a hard time both estimating when your driveway has a steep slope
and the truck must stay out at the street and be carried in, and up
disparate flights of stairs (most of the electronics was due for the attic
bonus room). They scratched antique furniture (without wrapping it of
course), and did not want to claim responsibility for "that old furniture".
Then to top it off, they DO NOT HAVE REPLACEMENT INSURANCE AS THEY CLAIM
(and have filed with the state). They are only setup to repair modern
furniture, not antiques, appliances, or electronics. They said our
homeowners insurance would cover it (contrary to the contract you sign
with them -- and pay extra for insurance). DO NOT USE THEM!! They lie
in their estimating, their movers are inexperienced, and their training
leaves a lot to be desired.

Note: by electronics, I had a busniess that besides computers, involved
home theater stuff, audio/visual, lighting, smart-home controls, telephone
systems, hobby materials including robotics, models of all sorts, model
train layouts, bench and lab equipment -- including older tube-type
oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, packet sniffers, logic analyzers, ham
radio equipment, broadcast studio equipment, including reel-to-reels, mics
mixing consoles, PA systems, even a karaoke system. The computers alone
involved old VAX 11-780, PDP 11-50, Prime 50-series, tons of Sun
workstations, and all of the monitors, tapes drives, disk drives, terminals,
printers from printronix lines printers to daisywheel printers, to DEC
decwriter terminals. They said in their estimate interview that they would
have no problem handling all of that. DON'T BELIEVE IT!!

Also, we need several boxes! If you know of a local source for boxes that doesn't cost $$$ please drop a note.

I see moving boxes posted on Craig's List "Free" list all of the time.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA