internetworkers - [internetworkers] Oct 9: James Boyle on Copyright and Public domain

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: paul jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ctc AT listserv.unc.edu, The jomcfac mailing list <jomcfac AT listserv.unc.edu>, sils-announce AT listserv.unc.edu, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, labratz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Oct 9: James Boyle on Copyright and Public domain
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:16:47 -0400

Date:
Friday, 09 October 2009
Time:
17:00 - 19:00
Location:
Gerrard Hall
Street:
E. Cameron Ave. (UNC campus)
Town/City:
Chapel Hill, NC

EVENT: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/event.php?eid=293464675248
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Boyle_%28academic%29
Boyle site: http://james-boyle.com/

"How We Threw Away Our Cultural Heritage For No Good Reason (and Whether Google Books Will Bring It Back)." A co-founder of Creative Commons, Boyle has written extensively on questions of public domain and intellectual property. This speech will look at the recent Google Books settlement in light of these issues.

Dr. Boyle's most recent book, The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind, is, in the words of Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, "a masterful tour of the intellectual property wars, [and] the fight over who will control the information age."

There will be a short reception at Gerrard Hall at 5 pm with the speech following at 5:30.