internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Air Mattress Experience

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Alex Wilson <alex AT alexwilson.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Air Mattress Experience
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 10:43:57 -0400

We've been using an Aerobed for guests and for travel for five or six years now (at least). Not the top of the line model at the time, but a nice sized queen with a built in pump. Sleeps the two of us more comfortably than the floor or our camping pads. I'm about 170, 5'10". My wife's 5'1" and weighs considerably less than me (don't know that I'd be allowed to share it even if I knew). We're used to a king as our regular bed, but I'm surprised at how little give there is; when one of us rolls out of the aerobed, the other isn't disturbed nearly as much as I would have thought.

Pretty durable. We've have two young, clawed cats for four years, who tend to jump on it whenever they accidentally get in the room when/where it's inflated, but we've never needed to patch it or anything. Singles and couples in their 20s and 30s (including a couple with a baby who sleeps with them) who have stayed with us like it, as has my mother in law. But if both she and my father in law visit at the same time, they prefer a hotel (which might be unrelated to the aerobed; I don't know whether they stay at hotels when visiting other family with real beds in their guest rooms).

If I were buying today, I'd probably still buy an aerobed and probably choose a King (don't know that they made them at the time) and one that's double-layered or raised--which I've seen--so two people in their 40s+ would feel more like they are sleeping in a real bed. They also have pillowtop ones I believe. If it doesn't add too much bulk when stored/carried around, I'd probably go for that as well.

Bed Bath and Beyond regularly sends out 20% off coupons in their circulars (might be able to find them printable online as well), which make them fairly competitive with online dealers.

Hope this helps.

Alex.