internetworkers - [internetworkers] Verizon Wireless announcement re. shutting down SMTP service

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "christian stalberg" <cstalberg AT web-analysts.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Verizon Wireless announcement re. shutting down SMTP service
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:01:57 -0400

Verizon Wireless has announced that it intends to cease providing SMTP service to its broadband customers effective August 29, 2009. For those of us who live in rural areas, Verizon Wireless broadband service is the only ISP service available. To lose SMTP service - which is primary to ISP service - will cause me and others in rural areas irrepairable harm. The Verizon announcement can be viewed at

http://support.vzw.com/information/smtp_shutdown.html

This is an extreme hardship for me as I use email clients on my personal computer to manage my email. Web mail SMTP service is not an option. I have several domain names that I use for my email addresses to conduct various business and webmail is known to not easily support use of multiple domain names in its addressing.

Please contact your state telecommunications authority and Verizon Wireless regarding this matter. Thank you.