internetworkers - [internetworkers] best home wireless router?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] best home wireless router?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:52:47 -0400

I am seeking advice on a new home wireless access point.  My vintage Linksys is still going strong, but I'd really love to have a whitelist for known friendly MAC addresses.  I'm pretty sure this is a common feature these days, but I'm more interested in what new whiz-bang things are out there that I don't know about.

I'm leaning towards another Linksys because of the incredible service this one has given me, but am open to other vendors.  After doing a little research this morning, I found a few that look interesting (mostly because they claim to have firewall technology built-in).

from: http://www.firewallguide.com/

1) http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530
2) http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-secure-wireless-router.htm

This would be for a very mixed environment (Macs, PCs, Linux, shared storage & printing), yet my needs are fairly basic.  I want the MAC whitelist and a relatively secure router.  What say you?

David M.