internetworkers - [internetworkers] OFF TOPIC: NC phone companies push for deregulation & blocking municipal broadband

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Christian Stalberg <cstalberg AT web-analysts.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] OFF TOPIC: NC phone companies push for deregulation & blocking municipal broadband
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 06:54:43 -0400 (EDT)

Immediate Action Item - Please oppose HB 1180, HB 1252 and SB 1004

HB 1180 has passed in the NC House by a vote of 102 to 11. This bill is
entitled "Consumer Choice and Investment Act of 2009" but the title is a
sham. It's really about removing regulatory protection for landline
telephone
service.

Far from being a real consumer oriented bill, it will remove protections that
many of us need at a time when we have seen how badly rampant deregulation
has
served our country.

The bill can and must be killed in the Senate.

..also HB 1252 and SB 1004 would prevent the state from getting municipal
broadband internet access, further widening the digital divide and making
internet access a luxury few can afford.

print/story/1498442.html>*sums