internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Hard drive imaging Utilities?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Pat French <patfrench2 AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Hard drive imaging Utilities?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 00:02:47 -0400

yes, but a lot depends on what is exactly going bad and how far the corruption (if any) has gotten.  If it still boots regularly and can survive a scandisk, then it's probably still at this point a good candidate for cloning.

Symantec Ghost or Acronis True Image are both commercial solutions I've tried at one point or another.  Both will work for this task.

Maxblast, which previously came with Maxtor hard drives, is technically free, (and can still be downloaded from Seagate's website) and works very well, but again - not sure if you are required to have a Maxtor hard drive in the mix.  I have used it before, successfully, and I think (though it's a little hazy) that I did it last time with no maxtor hard drives even in the mix.

Good luck!

Lyman