internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "Winweb Security" A Virus?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Colleen McCarthy" <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "Winweb Security" A Virus?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:38:49 -0500

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of the information.

Marc-- Did you just uninstall XP SP3?

Thanks!

Colleen

From: internetworkers-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:internetworkers-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Marc Wiatrowski
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:50 PM
To: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 19:00 -0500, Roger Austin wrote:
Bob Kucera wrote:
> this may be old news, but i seem to have to re-install XP a couple times
> a year due to crashes, two caused by MS, one a "root kit".  have just
> been reminded to not use XP SP3.  That comes as an update option after
> XP install - and crashes my system.  So my lesson is to not have
> automatic installed updates and check for what i'm getting before
> installing.
>
> also i opt out of internet explorer 7. firefox works.

  I have XP SP3 and have not seen the problems yet. I also use IE7
some as well as FF3. I have never had to reinstall XP except the
time I stupidly unplugged the system unit during a chkdsk routine.
I went through the repair sequence and it started up fine.
  I've been through the same with my work laptop without incident.
It looks like I will need to look into all this. Maybe I have been
lucky.

XP SP3 killed my system too.   Restored, tried SP3 again,  killed it again.  I forget exactly
but after doing some googling, it turned out to be something with power management
in the bios.  Disabling it fixed my issue.

-marc