internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Please Participate in This Online Survey of Privacy Issues

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Please Participate in This Online Survey of Privacy Issues
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:31:13 -0400

On Sep 24, 2008, at 12:11 PM, Calvin Powers wrote:

Howdy all,

I am on the board of advisers for a research center at North Carolina State called The Privacy Place and they are conducting an online survey regarding people's attitudes and habits with regard to privacy. They really need a large number of respondents so If you could take a few minutes to take this survey, I'd really appreciate it. (And please forward this note to your friends and family)

I started to fill out the survey, but the questions are unclear.  I believe they're using meaning #27 of "mind":

"to regard as concerning oneself or as mattering"

Most of the questions are of this sort:

I believe the survey is trying to ascertain if people feel positively or negatively, but the questions as I read them only ask if it matters, which is a different question, and could connote either positive or negative feelings.  My understanding is that a good survey will ask similar questions different ways in order to get rid of bias; that these questions are all worded exactly the same makes me suspicious the group was trying to slant the results in their favor.

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." ~G.K. Chesterton