internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] R/C Soaring

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] R/C Soaring
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:26:59 +1000

Lance A. Brown wrote:
Hello INWers,

I've had a fascination with radio control sailplanes for many years, but
have never itched it. Now, I might be coming into a situation where I
can afford a somewhat more cash-intensive hobby. :-)

Anyone know any R/C sailplane pilots and or clubs in the area?

--[Lance]

Dang, sorry you didn't post this a couple of days earlier, one of the biggest R/C events in the state was just held this weekend by the Raleigh Durham Radio Control club. Their web site is here:
http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/

The event was http://www.flyfortots.com/

The RDRC has a private "airfield" - radio control scale - up in northern Wake County near Rolesville. It's been quite a few years since I've been there but I recall it being a pretty good site with a nice long runway, plenty of visibility, a wind sock, etc. When I went there the club was just having a Saturday flying day - not a major event - but there were still 5-10 planes out there of various sizes and shapes.

Now, RDRC seems to be mostly about conventional, powered radio controlled airplanes . But I'd bet they're still a good place to start to get more information about local sailplane enthusiasts.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy Portzer
(now flying full-size planes... talk about a cash-intensive hobby!)