internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Broadband in the Triangle this week in the Independent

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Broadband in the Triangle this week in the Independent
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:14:43 -0400

I was in Milwaukee this weekend and anxious to test out their municipal Internet. What I found is there ain't none. I was all set to photograph the access points and everything but couldn't locate any.

I think Milwaukee's plans became too ambitious (i.e. "feature creep"). What began as a simple test project turned into a (projected) $20m project. I think the provider killed it by dragging its feet.

Even so, I think Wilson has a good chance of succeeding, mainly because it provides a real benefit (blazing-fast speeds) that people are willing to pay for (and competitors like TWC and AT&T aren't willing to offer). I don't know if anyone willing to pay broadband prices for Internet delivered over 802.11b. I certainly wouldn't.

There is a ton of homework that needs to be completed before the first packet gets sent. Wilson seems to have successfully navigated the minefield. Now that the path has been blazed can Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill follow?

See these links for details on Milwaukee's wireless project:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=764862
http://dancody.org/archives/category/milwaukee-wireless

Mark