internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Yahoo Hates Internetworkers Response

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cristóbal Palmer" <cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Yahoo Hates Internetworkers Response
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:07:53 -0500

No. I think what's going on is that Yahoo! is respecting the spam
judgments made by our mailing list server.

Mailman, which runs on the mailing list server (duh), does not do
anything about the spam judgments unless the list owner explicitly
sets it to do so. For internetworkers, that'd be here:

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/admin/internetworkers/?VARHELP=privacy/spam/header_filter_rules

(unless you're the internetworkers admin, that link won't work for
you). You could substitute any other ibiblio list name for
'internetworkers' in that link and get to the matching config for that
list. So what's happening (my hunch here) is that SpamAssassin running
on lists.ibiblio.org is tagging something as spam or near-spam and
then passing it off to mailman, which blithely sends it out to the
list. If the recipient is a Yahoo! address, then it will bounce, since
Yahoo! is saying, "Why'd you give me this? It's spam!"

If the internetworkers admins decide to set up the spam filtering,
which is explained here:

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/ibiblio-announce/2008-January/000210.html

my guess is that the Yahoo! rejection problem will go away. So...
internetworkers admins: care to test my hunch?

... or somebody could suggest a better explanation ...

Cheers,
CMP