internetworkers - [internetworkers] road runner 'non-existing domain landing service'

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Christian Stalberg" <cstalberg AT web-analysts.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] road runner 'non-existing domain landing service'
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 09:21:11 -0500

- Click on the preferences link and you get (note the enabled defaults):

Preferences

These preferences allow you to opt in or out of the non-existing domain landing service.
At any point in time you can opt in or out of these services using this page.

Web Address Error Redirect Service: This preference allows you to opt in or out of Road Runner's non-existing domain landing service.

Current setting: Enabled

 Enable
 Disable

Typo Correction Service: This preference allows you to opt in or out of the Typo Correction Service. This service will automatically fix many common typos in web addresses (for example: ww to www and .cmo to .com). If you enter a non-existent web address, and this service is able to typo-correct your domain to a valid web address, you will be taken there automatically.

Current setting: Enabled

 Enable (Web Address Error Redirect Service must be enabled above)
 Disable

Safe Search Filter: This preference allows you to restrict adult-oriented content from search results on the non-existing domain landing service.

Current setting: Search results are filtered

 Do Not Filter Results (Results may include adult content)
 Filter Search Results

Note: Safe Search Filter is designed to filter out explicit, adult-oriented content from search results. However we cannot guarantee that all explicit content will be filtered out.

- notice you can 'opt out' of this 'feature'. the scariest part of this is is that the content filtering is turned on by default. while I can appreciate time warner minimizing traffic going across the network, the fact that they're spring this on unsuspecting users who will not understand it and continue to operate per usual is outrageous.

- my rr service comes out of greensboro. are other rr service areas experiencing this as well? I have sent off a complaint
- I was shocked this morning when I entered an erroneous web URL and a road runner web page pops up with search suggestions. 'powered by Yahoo search' with a cute link next to that says 'Why am I here?'. you click on that and you get:

Why am I here?
You entered an unknown web address that was used to present site suggestions that you may find useful. Clicking any of these suggestions provides you with search results, which may include relevant sponsored links.

If this service is not right for you, please visit your Preferences page to opt out. At any point in time, you can opt back in to the service by visiting your Preferences page.

If you have other questions about this service, please visit our FAQ.

For further assistance, please go to http://help.rr.com.