internetworkers - [internetworkers] Troubleshooting a USB-1284 USB to Parallel Printer Cable

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Judy Hallman <hallman AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: Internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Troubleshooting a USB-1284 USB to Parallel Printer Cable
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:21:43 -0500

I bought a new laptop. I can't plug my Canon BJC-2010 printer into it.
I bought a USB-1284 USB to Parallel Printer Cable. Can't get the printer working with my new laptop so I'm trying the cable on the old laptop, first.

The old laptop prints fine with the old cable.
When I replace the old cable with the new one, it doesn't print.

The cable came with an installation disk. I _think_ the software is installed. When I go to control panel, Add Hardware, I get a list of installed hardware and see USB Printing Support, Right click it, and get "This device is working properly."

I've tried the troubleshooting stuff. In command mode I tried the line for a Postscript printer:
copy con lpt1
(hangs, nothing happens)
and for a nonPostscript printer:
ECHO HELLO crtl-L dir > LPT1
It displays: HELLO LPT1 but nothing is printed.

Any ideas?

I've gotten my money's worth out of the printer. Maybe I should just get a new printer and return the cable.

Judy Hallman

  • [internetworkers] Troubleshooting a USB-1284 USB to Parallel Printer Cable, Judy Hallman, 01/15/2008