internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Hardware RAID cards

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David Brain" <dbrain AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Hardware RAID cards
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:57:20 -0400

Hi,

First question, what is the driver behind limiting yourself the
hardware raid? - there are advantages and disadvantages of both
approaches. Software RAID is really very capable - a combination of
LVM & Sofware RAID results in a very capable system - has good
management and monitoring features, hot spares etc. etc.

For Hardware RAID - all the newer Dell server RAID (PERC cards) are
essentially LSI SATA hardware RAID cards in some form or another.
Linux support is decent from the driver standpoint, management support
is functional but a bit limited (theres a somewhat odd webapp and a
CLI management tool that's a bit quirky, and has limitied docs...).
But it can definitely be made to work - I have a PERC 5 running
currently with 15 SAS drives attached.

David.