internetworkers - [internetworkers] Questions on unlocking cell phones for international travel

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lyman Green" <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Questions on unlocking cell phones for international travel
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 20:14:36 -0400

I am hoping to visit friends in Germany and England in the next 6
months (I'm shooting for England over the last one or two weeks of
December) and I would like to be able to purchase a SIM card for use
in my Motorola RAZR v3xx. I understand this entails me unlocking it.

Does anyone on the list have a company they trust that will not charge
me too much to have this done?

Looking on the internet I have found how to do it manually myself
(using a variety of shady software downloads) but it seems to involve
activities that may conceivably mess up my phone. For every message
on a forum saying "wow, worked great for me" I'm seeing one "my phone
won't update/function."

According to the specs, the v3xx supports:
Bands: GSM 850/1800/1900, WCDMA 850/1900
and further research revealed that several cellphone companies in the
UK support GSM 1800 so I believe that if I get the phone unlocked, it
should support a prepaid SIM card on that frequency.

If it proves not to be feasible to get it unlocked I'll poke around on
ebay for the cheapest GSM capable unlocked phone I can find for use
while traveling.

It looks like Nokia might be the right manufacturer for that choice -
something very simple that I would use specifically for traveling.

Any info would be appreciated!

Lyman Green

--
It's not a secret headquarters its just my apartment!