internetworkers - [internetworkers] Fw: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Call For Search Engine Issues, Complaints, Concerns

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Christian Stalberg" <cstalberg AT internet-lab.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Fw: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Call For Search Engine Issues, Complaints, Concerns
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:29:01 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: <privacy AT vortex.com>
To: <privacy-list AT vortex.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 7:33 PM

Call For Search Engine Issues, Complaints, Concerns

(Please distribute widely as you feel appropriate)

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000266.html

Greetings. As part of my continuing research and an upcoming white
paper focusing on policy and related technical issues associated
with search engines and their impacts, I'd very much appreciate any
examples of relevant specific situations, concerns, and any other
positive or negative experiences with search engine operations and
support personnel, with a particular emphasis on (but not limited to)
the following categories:

-- Attempts to remove or deemphasize from search engine listings
any data perceived to promote Web sites containing seriously
incorrect, defamatory, misleading, privacy-invasive, or
otherwise highly damaging or problematic materials

-- Search engine issues or problems related to "public record"
(e.g. government) data, particularly with negative impacts on
privacy or individuals' personal lives

-- Issues of "obsolete" or superseded data being promoted by
search engine listings, without any indication that such
data is no longer current and/or correct

-- Any problems related to search engine caches exacerbating
the sorts of issues listed above or other related problems

-- And so on ...

I am particularly interested in any experiences you may have had
while attempting to contact search engine personnel (either through
provided Web forms or other means) with concerns or problems, and
the dispositions of those communications.

For this round, I am specifically *not* soliciting issues related
to "Search Engine Optimization" (SEO) concerns (e.g., "How come
my Web site always ranks lower than that other Web site on Google?")

For any sagas you relate to me, please be as specific as possible
(within whatever bounds that you feel comfortable) -- but at the very
least please identify the particular search engine of concern and the
approximate time period of the issue. Unless you specify otherwise,
I will assume that I may note the issue (on an anonymous basis) in
my reports on this subject. If you'd prefer that I don't reference
your issue in any form, or if you don't mind being quoted
non-anonymously for attribution, please let me know.

Please send any information that you can provide as soon as possible to:

search AT pfir.org

For some recent background on the issues of concern, please see:

Search Engine Dispute Notifications: Request For Comments
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000253.html

Extending Google Blacklists for Dispute Resolutions
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000254.html

A Most Remarkable Google Page: Toward Search Dispute Resolutions
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000255.html

Benefits and Risks in Google's Public Records Access Project
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000228.html

Thanks very much!

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren AT vortex.com or lauren AT pfir.org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
- People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com