internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] VW Wants Your Old Diesel

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] VW Wants Your Old Diesel
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:23:21 -0500

you know, I might have purchased a Diesel Jetta a while back were it not for a lot of bad press not about the engine but everything else about a VW just falling apart too early.  I have since spoken with quite a few modern VW owners who really like their cars so VW can't be all bad.

I'll admit, I'm a Diesel addict.  Now with B20 being available around the area I'm even more so though I'm not selling my Diesel Liberty anytime soon (I should get off my butt and get my Biodiesel operation out of the blender and into a larger vessel.  But that V10 Toureag sure would be nice.

Greg

On 1/25/07, Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org> wrote:

On Jan 25, 2007, at 10:12 AM, Scott Lundgren wrote:

> Since VW's and diesels are among the car topics that sometimes cross
> this list I thought to pass on this chunk of news:
>
> In conjunction with the launch of the '08 Jetta Bluetec diesel this
> week at the Washington,  D.C., auto show, VW says it's searching for
> two significant vehicles from its  U.S. past. Specifically, the brand
> wants to find the oldest running Volkswagen diesel and the VW diesel
> with the highest accumulated mileage.

Maybe because the gasoline engines all blew up?  Consumer Reports
doesn't break out diesel engines in this report, but Volkswagens are
at the bottom of the reliability list compared to other manufacturers:

Toureg: -119% of average reliability in its class
Passat 4-cyl: -60% of average reliability in its class.
Jetta: -25% of average reliability in its class

Only the Passat V6 had decent reliability, and the New Beetle has
shown improvement, moving from dead last to average.

Yeah, I'm ranting, but after talking to as many Volkswagen owners as
I have who's engines have burned up and the manufacturer refused to
honor the warranty, they deserve bad press.

http://www.consumerreports.org:80/cro/cars/types/reliability-
comparison-index.htm

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC