internetworkers - [internetworkers] Firefox + Mac slow DNS lookups

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Gregory S. Hopper" <ghopper AT netanium.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Firefox + Mac slow DNS lookups
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:29:07 -0500

Just tonight, my wife said that she has been experiencing the same thing lately.  She has a mac mini running Panther, and uses Firefox.

I have an Intel imac, running Tiger, and use Firefox, connected to the same network, and don't see this.

Just to let you know you aren't alone!

Greg

On December 12, Tony Spencer wrote:

This has been giving me trouble for a while now and I hope someone else
has encountered it and found a solution.

VERY often now I click on a link to any random site and the status bar
at the bottom of Firefox shows "Looking up www.somesite.com..." and
often takes so long that I get the Firefox time out page "Firefox can't
find the server at www.somesite.com."  Now this part is consistent 100%
of the time:  I immediately click the "Try Again" button on that timeout
page and the domain look up happens in a fraction of a second and I'm
immediately loading that page.

I am already using DNS servers other than ones my ISP provides and I've
tried several different ones with no improvement. I really think its
some sort of Firefox issue as I never experience this slowness when
executing dig, ping, or connecting to sites from code.

I don't know if this is just a Mac + Firefox issue but I'm on Mac.

Anybody else?

Tony
--------

Gregory S. Hopper