internetworkers - [internetworkers] SAX-40 :: One for the aeroplane buffs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] SAX-40 :: One for the aeroplane buffs
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:23:35 -0500

Sadly, I will probably be completely deaf and/or dead by the time this technology unveils. Regardless, I am happy to read that some headway is being made to eliminate unnecessary noise from our surrounding environs.

/drm

--
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72118-0.html?tw=rss.index

Researchers have unveiled design plans for a passenger plane they claim will be no louder than a washing machine and will use 25 percent less fuel than current jetliners.

Unlike the tube-shaped fuselage found in today's passenger jets, the SAX-40 features a radically different wedge-shaped airframe that acts as a single flying wing, creating extra lift. Its engines are mounted on top of the aircraft rather than under the wings, and are made with variable jet nozzles, which allows for slower propulsion during takeoff and climb. The plane is smooth and streamlined, with a drooped leading edge, a simplified undercarriage, and no slats or flaps.
--

  • [internetworkers] SAX-40 :: One for the aeroplane buffs, matusiak, 11/15/2006