internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 42, Issue 9

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Nick & Sandy (internetworkers)" <internetworkers AT hypertwins.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 42, Issue 9
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:42:30 -0400

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 12:00 -0400, internetworkers-request@lis
> On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 12:00 -0400,
> internetworkers-request AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> > Remember those great advertising campaigns from the mid 1980s about the
> > paperless office that was going to be here Real Soon Now? I do as much as
> > I can onscreen, but there are still some things I have to print in order
> > to do my work.
> >
> > Is the paperless office any nearer than the flying car? Or the peaceful
> > dispute over the best bbq recipe?

I don't know about anyone else, but lately we've been scanning copies of
all our fileable paperwork, and then storing the originals in envelopes.
We keep the scans in folders with the same names as the envelopes, just
in case we need to get to the originals. I give the scans descriptive
names to make it easier to find stuff; later on I'll come up with a way
to cross-index them (virtual folders?) and so on. (See
http://wiki.hypertwins.org/FileFerret for a related software project.)

This currently takes up about 16 GB (I'm a perfectionist and save as PNG
at 200 dpi in 24-bit color), but that kind of space is much cheaper than
filing cabinet space ;-) and the envelopes hardly take up any room at
all.

Woozle (Nick)
Working at home in Durham (vbz.net and other projects)

> > (yes, I wanted a lighter topic than recent topics on the list)
> >
> > Esther, working in RTP

  • Re: [internetworkers] InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 42, Issue 9, Nick & Sandy (internetworkers), 07/14/2006