internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Anti-Virus and IMAP

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Matt Pusateri" <mpusateri AT wickedtrails.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Anti-Virus and IMAP
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:07:23 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, February 20, 2006 7:14 pm, Carol Thomson wrote:
> John Broome wrote:
>
>> On 2/20/06, Carol Thomson <cthomson AT topsailtech.com> wrote:
>>
>>>To follow-up the virus discussion... Can anyone explain how
>>>anti-virus apps (Symantec, McAfee, BitDefender, etc) do or do not
>>>scan IMAP email. I realize that IMAP keeps the messages on the
>>>server and only headers are downloaded. But what about
>>>attachments and saving a message to a local folder? Do those
>>>files only get scanned when you do a system scan or do they get
>>>scanned when saved? Symantec and the others only claim to scan
>>>POP email - do they mean real-time only?
>>

>> I have procmail set up to scan incoming messages before they get
>> delivered to the INBOX, same thing with spamassassin.
>>
>> # Calls the clamAV scanner
>> :0fw
>> | /usr/local/scripts/clamfilter.pl
>>
>> # If a virus is found, move it to a specific folder.
>> :0:
>> .Viruses/
>> ---
>
> You are doing this on the server, right? SpamAssasin is run on my
> server, but that is all. I want to catch viruses on that main
> Windows machien I use to access this email account. So again, to
> what degree does Symantec, McAfee, BitDefender anti-virus scan
> messages and attachments with IMAP (using Thunderbird but I don't
> think that matters)?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol
>
> Carol

Most windows antivirus scanners do on-access email scanning. So when
you choose to open the attachment via your IMAP email client, the
anti-virus software will scan it. I believe the anti-virus email
scanning referred to in the pop email is when it is downloaded from
the server as opposed to when it is opened.

Matt P.