internetworkers - [internetworkers] Attn HAMmers.. question for you

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Brown <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug AT trilug.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Attn HAMmers.. question for you
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:53:14 -0500

Slashdot has run a story about SuitSat, a russian spacesuit packed with some batteries and a transmitter that was thrown overboard from the International Space Station.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/26jan_suitsat.htm

The article claims that anyone with a police scanner can pick this transmission up on frequency 145.990 MHz, which my scanner will do.  The next pass over the Raleigh area is tomorrow morning from 07:02:22 to 07:12:37.  The data transmitted back to Earth will be the environmental data from the suit.

This doesn't leave much time to prepare.  Will a handheld scanner be able to recieve this transmission?  They say, of course, the bigger the antenna the better, but I don't have time to run out and get a gazillion dbi gain antenna for my handheld.

Grrrr.  Is there any way for one of the HAM guys to somehow tune in and broadcast over the Internet just in case?  Or call into an Asterisk server that is patched into the frequency (cough.. Mark Turner.. cough)?

Greg

  • [internetworkers] Attn HAMmers.. question for you, Greg Brown, 01/27/2006