internetworkers - [internetworkers] Open source voting - (was Re: Source code escrow service?)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Open source voting - (was Re: Source code escrow service?)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:17:23 +0000

On Dec 8, 2005, at 10:25 PM, Scott Lundgren wrote:
On Dec 08, 2005, at 3:57 PM, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

Well, I finally ran into a customer who won't buy without the source code being in escrow. Has anyone used such a service?

I got your source code escrow right here: jad and gdb. Actually from bitter experience, I wouldn't want to use any mission critical software were source code might suddenly not be available.

Well I guess we can safely rule out the NC Board of Elections as Michael's customer...

Good. BOEs do nothing but attract crime and ruin neighborhoods. Ok, maybe it's just Durham.

Actually, with all the open-source millionaires living in the triangle area, I'm surprised that no-one's set up a foundation to build a fully open electronic voting system.

A stripped down linux kernel to boot things up; a java virtual machine to run the application; USB smart-keys to id the voters... a thousand lean and hungry cryptokids staying up weeks at time reviewing it, desperate for the chance to show how much smarter they are than the other 999.

"This time it would work and no-one would have to get nailed to anything. "

Simon
p.s.
For a real challenge what about an open-source lottery management system.