internetworkers - [internetworkers] Trouble at iBiblio?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael <michael AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Trouble at iBiblio?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:47:38 -0500 (EST)

I want to state, first and foremost, that in no way do I represent iBiblio. I'm an alum, but I'm not a part of the organization, and I'm not trying to speak for iBiblio, for Paul, or anyone else. I'm speaking only as an INW subscriber trying to contribute to the discussion.

That said, it occurs to me that the very, /very/ good reason for limiting SourceForge downloads to reasonable limits is self-evident when one downloads from SourceForge: there are a bazillion other places to get whatever you're downloading. Those resources and archives unique to iBiblio, therefore, /should/ be guaranteed availability above and beyond those resources that are plentifully available elsewhere. As someone noted, there are sites at Vanderbilt, at Purdue, in other countries and on a variety of other continents. By limiting SourceForge's pull on iBiblio's bandwidth, they are not denying any SourceForge user anything because other SourceForge resources are plentiful. However, were SourceForge downloads allowed to eclipse other resources' availability, hundreds of other resources would be effectively unavailable. While I agree that I often get better SourceForge download speeds from, say, Vanderbilt, I would be hard-pressed to name a single other thing I've gotten from them other than a bunch of spammy "apply to our school, Mr. High School Senior" envelopes fifteen years ago. iBiblio, on the other hand, has countless archives I enjoy.

--
Michael Williams "There's a spare-rib michael AT ibiblio.org in my purse. Will
www.ibiblio.org/michael it bother you?"