internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mac to PC file sharing woes

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: John Broome <jbroome AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mac to PC file sharing woes
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:41:05 -0400

Tony Spencer wrote:
I gave up on moving files back and forth from my Windows machine and my Mac
a couple of months ago but I decided to tackle it again last night with no
luck.

I've turned on windows file sharing on the mac. I've made sure SMB is
enabled and I've set the workgroup in Samba to the same work group that all
my windows machines use. I renamed the Mac to a short name with no
non-alpha characters and no spaces. I've even turned off the bloody
firewall but I still cannot see the Mac when I browse the network on the
Windows machine.
I did see the Mac once before I moved it to the standard workgroup name I
use. It was under a workgroup named "WORKGROUP" and it had a funky name
like 'Mac OSX -(Tony's Computer)' but clicking on it resulting in some error
about unable to connect.

Will upgrading to Tiger make things any easier? Maybe this stinking
AdmitMac software I installed is causing the problem? (I've been unable to
remove the bastard).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mac - OS X Jaguar
Windows - XP service pack 2 (firewall disabled)

Tiger shouldn't make a difference.

I usually use commandK to specify the ip of my windows box and connect to it that way.

I have not had much success browsing the network and getting to my winbox.

I do have samba running on my mac and can browse to that fine, even with the freaky John Broome's Computer netbios name.