internetworkers - [internetworkers] An opportunity to help hurricane evacuees

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Judy Hallman <hallman AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: Internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] An opportunity to help hurricane evacuees
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:56:27 -0400

To colleagues and friends on several lists:

I am forwarding below two messages about community technology centers
(CTCs) for evacuees in Houston. Technology For All
(http://www.techforall.org/) was already operating
at least 60 community technology centers in Houston. Their mission
statement includes:
... to empower under resourced communities through the tools of technology"
and
... we create educational, economic and personal opportunities for low-income
persons and the communities in which they live.

Technology For All has the partnerships, volunteers, training programs,
and experience to create more CTCs in Houston and to help us create them
in other parts of the country.

Will Reed is reporting activity and needs in his blog at
http://texasctcs.blogspot.com/

A post on the DigitalDivide Network list today:
"Making the Astrodome CTC the Rule, Not the Exception" -- What will it
take to get CTCs established at other refugee centers? See
http://mailman.edc.org/pipermail/digitaldivide/2005-September/003378.html.
And see Will's followup message at
http://mailman.edc.org/pipermail/digitaldivide/2005-September/003391.html.
(Kavita Singh is Executive Director of CTCNet.)

How can we help?

If you'd like to join the DigitalDivide Network discussion, see
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/digitaldivide or go directly to

Judy Hallman (hallman AT rtpnet.org, http://www.rtpnet.org/hallman)
Executive Director, RTPnet, NC (http://www.RTPnet.org/)