internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Suspicious monthly reminder for a Mailman list

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: Internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Suspicious monthly reminder for a Mailman list
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:10:48 -0400

on Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:01:45AM -0400, Judy Hallman wrote:
> To Triangle Internetworkers:
>
> I received a Mailman monthly reminder for the list
>
> Bsttwauction AT burnsurvivorsttw.org
>
> I am not a member of that list. I have not clicked the links. I think
> they might be virus infected. Is there a way to tell? I have not
> received any messages from this list, that I know of.
>
> Do you know of a good way to check this out? The domain registration
> looks real.

Yeah, don't. It's a common address fishing tactic - add it to a mailman
list and then see who unsubscribes. Unsub, and you're confirmed as a live
address and can be sold for a premium.

Note that the whois record is forged/bogus:

Registrant ID:GODA-04349263
Registrant Name:Michael Appleman
Registrant Organization:Burn Survivors Throughout The
Registrant Street1:650 N Beneva Rd. #305
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Sarasota
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code:34232
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.9999999999
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:michael AT burnsurvivorsttw.org

No state, though the ZIP is correct for Sarasota, FL, and the phone is
obviously bogus. You can report these to GoDaddy directly or via the
form at:

http://wdprs.internic.net/

Don't hold your breath, though. I had one of my domains under a joe job
by Brian Westby, who was fined by the FCC in April 2003 and it took over
a year for ICANN to deactivate his domains.

The domain appears to be hosted by WEBBEZ.COM, so you could try
reporting the message to abuse AT WEBBEZ.COM and postmaster AT WEBBEZ.COM - I
would avoid contacting the list-owner, though.

Of course, it's possible that you are actually a burn victim and just
don't know it yet, and these people mean you know harm, and just want
to help you get cheap bandages on ebay, but I'm skeptical.

Good luck!

antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/