internetworkers - [internetworkers] (possibly OT, probably controversial, political content) defuse Eminent Domain in NC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] (possibly OT, probably controversial, political content) defuse Eminent Domain in NC
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 03:40:43 -0400

Any fellow InternetWorkers who are outraged by this
Eminent Domain business, and would like to make
sure this doesn't become a problem in NC:

Please contact your NC House and /or Senate
reps, and request that they work to tighten
the restrictions on use of ED. Those of
you in Orange and Person counties have Ellie
Kinnaird as your Senate rep. I've already
sent a suggestion to her (see below) to look
into this issue. I'd appreciate any like-minded
folks contact her as well to show their support.

-----quote------
Senator Kinnaird:

Here is an interesting article relating some recent
talk of legislative action in TX, to curtail use
of Eminent Domain.

<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3239023>

This is in response to the
recent Supreme Court decision which seemingly
expands the powers of local governments to steal
private property by invoking "Eminent Domain."

I am wondering what your feelings are on this issue,
and more to the point, wonder if you would be willing
to introduce / sponsor / support legislation to further
limit the use of Eminent Domain in NC? I realize that
our laws concerning ED are already tighter than CT
(the center of the recent controversy), but to be honest
if we allow ED at all, our laws are overly broad in
that regard, in my humble opinion.

As you might gather, since I am a Libertarian, I oppose
the notion of Eminent Domain completely. However I understand
that our state might not be willing to accept a complete
ban on the practice. But I would be cheered by any action
to limit the practice and protect the rights of
property owners.

TTYL,

Phil
--