internetworkers - [internetworkers] Can Anyone Help With a Simple PHP Application?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Susan LaBarre" <idodesign AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Can Anyone Help With a Simple PHP Application?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:17:02 -0400

I would like to know if anyone knows of a small PHP application or has time
to help me develop a simple and searchable PHP 'Resource and Referral'
database for a non-profit org that I belong to. I am a web developer and
have access to SQL databases through the webhosting cpanel, but I can't find
an 'out of the box' Fantastico script that will do what I want. I''m already
using Noah's for classified ads and PHPbb for our forum. I don't want our
resource and referral database mixed in with the classified ads in the
Noah's application since that will be password protected and the R&R won't.

Please don't advise me to read PHP books... I don't have time or interest in
teaching myself PHP in order to put this together. I'm not very geeky and
coding and scripts tend to glaze me over. I write raw HTML and that's it
(all my fancy stuff is generated by my Macromedia apps). I DO understand
databases and I can read SQL if it's pretty simple... but I don't know how
to write it.

We want to offer our professional members (all women) an online Resource and
Referral directory so they have the opportunity to recommend services and
service people they've used for home and business. I suspect the biggest
user of this feature will be our own Colleen McCarthy who is the absolute
best resource and referral networker I know. I don't want the members to
have to filter their 'listings' through me as it becomes very labor
intensive and I'm only a volunteer. The ability to go to a webpage and input
their information into a form which can be read online as a categorical list
and searched by key word is all we need. The members would input and review
their own listings... and the directory becomes self maintaining...(I'll
simply monitor the webspace usage).

The fields we need are:

Resource Category (e.g., Home Services, Professional Services, Career
Services)
Resource Sub-Category (e.g. Landscaping, Accounting, Remodeling)
Name of Company or Service
Contact Name
Street
City
Zip
Phone
Email
URL
Referrer's Comments
Referrer's Email
Date of referral: (hidden field auto dated at time of input)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not getting paid for doing this
website... I just want to help out this org and give them what they've asked
for.

Thanks in advance,
Susan LaBarre

  • [internetworkers] Can Anyone Help With a Simple PHP Application?, Susan LaBarre, 06/12/2005