internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Anyone using the Blackberry 7100?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Karches <tkarches AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Anyone using the Blackberry 7100?
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 21:28:01 -0400

On 5/3/05, Tony Spencer <tony AT tonyspencer.com> wrote:
> I'm one of the many unhappy AT&T wireless customers that was sold off to
> Suncom. I'm being forced to give up the phone I love
> (http://www.tonyspencer.com/mt/archives/2004/11/audiovox_smt_56.htm). So
> I'm looking for a smartphone that works in Europe and is capable of
> high-speed data EDGE.
>
> I'm thinking of going with Blackberry 7100 via Cingular but unfortunately
> none of the stores have one powered up that I can play with. Is anyone here
> using it that can give me some feedback? The reviews on Amazon look pretty
> good.

First, I don't understand why you are being forced to change your
phone. If it is a GSM phone, it should just work. The most you should
have to do is get it unlocked. Have they (Cingular or Suncom)
specifically told you it would not work, or that they would not
support it. Those are 2 very different things.

My understanding of how the Blackberry operates is that to take
advantage of the push mail features, it requires its' own special back
end server. which comes at an additional cost.It may not work with
regular email accounts.

The problem I have with the Treo is the size. I don't consider it a
comfortable size for a device that I would carry everywhere. But that
is me. If you are OK with the Audiovox and need the data input, the
Treo 650 is an OK choice.

If using an external Bluetooth keyboard is acceptable, I would go with
one of the edge capable Nokia Series 60 Symbian phones.

Useful applications that run under the Symbian OS :
- putty
- Opera
- AvantGo
- Agile Messenger (FWIW, there is a Palm version)

There is a very active developer community. Lots of good free stuff.

You can use it as a modem via Bluetooth with your Bluetooth equippped
laptop. . Be sure you get a model that covers the European frequencies
in addition to the American frequencies

I have had a Nokia 3650 (the one with the keyboard everyone hates) for
almost 2 years now, and am very happy with it. It is a world phone
with a amazingly good camera (that can make a remarkable good 4x6
print). The OS crashes (yes it has an os) less than anything like it
that I have used. It has a built in mail client that works directly
with our campus IMAP server. It is the single most useful electronic
device that I have ever owned.

All the series 60 phones come with a removable memory card, so
pictures can easily be removed and MPEG-4 video files can be put on
the phone (yes, it plays video)

I will probably be at this thursday's meeting (I can't make dinner) if
anyone wants to see it.

Cheers,
Tom
--