internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Short Technical Classes

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Short Technical Classes
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:11:42 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I'm d.b.a "The Corner Guru," in which I teach/tutor *individuals* how to use
Windows-style software (Adobe products included). (Two caveats: I am not
targeting businesses and this is a fairly new venture.)

One of the services I'm offering is a sort of Tupperware(TM) Party for Your
Mind, in which you and no more than four of your friends get together at a
mutual house/office (in front of one of your own computers loaded with the
target software), serve finger food, and allow me to lead you on a 2-hour
exploration of the function you want to learn. Styles in Word, for example,
or Intro to PowerPoint Presentations. Making Your Digital Pictures Ready for
Web Display would work using either Adobe Photoshop or Macromedia Fireworks,
for another example.

I know a lot -- not everything, but a lot -- about a lot of different
programs, and can figure out what I don't know fairly quickly. After all, we
are talking about mostly Object Oriented Programming applications geared to
run on Microsoft. (One of my offerings is "Intro to Windows Applications,"
aimed at the novice. You computer-literates may be surprised to find out, for
example, that a lot of people don't even notice there's usually a "File" menu
on the menu bar, and that it contains many of the same commands across
applications.)

The Tupperware Party for Your Mind costs $100 for two hours, so five people
(the host and four guests) can each chip in only $20 (or four folks chip in
$25 each, three $33.33, etc., but capped at 5 students total) and come away
with personalized tutoring on a specific element of an application, with
friends to help you remember how you did whatever. I've done this a couple of
times to good effect; it does help if the students are roughly equal in
knowledge of the application, but that's not essential as long as the ones
with less knowledge don't mind being a little lost and the ones with more
knowledge don't mind helping the others outside of the mini-seminar. It works
well as an evening or afternoon tea-time event, or as a long brown-bag lunch.

If you're interested, e-mail me at bholroyd at gmail dot com for more
information, or to get my contact number. A partial list of the applications
that I know is at my resume site,
http://bholroyd.home.mindspring.com/Resume/index.html#Expertise .... (The
list is out of date; I would not attempt to teach Unix, Solaris, or the Corel
Web design products, and there are some apps I should add. However, it gives
you a good idea of the extent of my knowledge. One of these days I'll get the
Corner Guru site up and running and everything will be just perfect.
<grin="wry">)

But if this doesn't float your boat, I've taken technical classes at Durham
Tech and would recommend it.

~B