internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Hunter S. Thompson commits suicide

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Hunter S. Thompson commits suicide
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:34:06 -0500 (EST)

ESPN has an archive of Hunter's columns over the last five years available here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/archive?columnist=hunter_s._thompson&root=page2

I found that some of the older columns (from 2000 and 2001) are only available through an ESPN Insider subscription -- including, unfortunately, his Sept 12 2001 column -- but the rest are currently available to non-subscribers. They're offering a free 7-day trial subscription which is easily cancelled... I've already subscribed,
printed off the columns I was missing, and cancelled, all within a
couple of hours.

Personally I'm a bit saddened, but not terribly surprised. I'm sure
he'd have continued to be a prolific writer, but then I'll probably
never get around to reading everything he wrote.

As the good Doctor wrote about someone else, he was "too weird to live,
too rare to die". He will be missed.

--sil

from B:

Hunter probably thought it was a great splash of irony that purity icon Sandra Dee checked out the very same day. ~B