internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] UK contracting - taxes and border questions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Craig Duncan <craigduncan AT entuend.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] UK contracting - taxes and border questions
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:22:27 -0500

So you are in London already, yet a late response may be better than none at
all. To answer your first question, yes it is Ok to tell British Immigration
that you are there on business - this is a normal occurrence for many
travelers to London.

A visa is not required because you do not intend to live in the UK, only
spend
what time you have to in order to do your business. It is also Ok to tell
them that you will probably do some sight seeing while you are there.

As for future trips, the same advice applies, no visa required, and tell them
why you are there - never lie! Probably best to have some contact info handy
and the address/phone number of the hotel you will be staying at.

Taxes should also be a non-issue. You are not a British subject living under
British tax jurisdiction. Your company is located in the US and you reside in
the US and I assume that most of the work you will be doing is in the US. So
there should be no issue other than declaring your income in the US.

Note: If you do end up in a situation where you actually have to pay British
taxes, you should not be taxed again on this income in the US, although you
will have to report both the amount earned and the amount of tax paid.

Finally, make sure you are paid in $US and preferably paid directly to a US
bank.

Good luck with the new contract,
Craig

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 02:36 pm, Tony Spencer wrote:
> I'm starting a contract for a company based in London. Does anyone have
> any experience getting paid from a UK company specifically in regards to
> dealing with their taxes and US tax credits? My accountant doesn't seem to
> want to touch it.
>
> Also I am going to London on Saturday for two weeks and was planning on
> telling their border agents that I'm there for meetings. Is that ok or is
> a Visa required for that small amount of time? I have to return once more
> in March for another couple of weeks. Should I just declare these to be
> sightseeing trips?
>
> Much thanks,
> Tony

> http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/ You are currently subscribed to