internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Another One Bites the Dust, Top 5 OS X Software Tools/Utilities

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: Scott Lundgren <s_l AT mindspring.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Another One Bites the Dust, Top 5 OS X Software Tools/Utilities
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:39:32 -0500

1) Terminal.app is OK, but iTerm (iterm.sourceforge.net/) is a LOT
nicer. Tabbed terminals, overall its a lot better.
2) Konfabulator (http://konfabulator.com). Think "Widgets" for
Dashboard were an Apple innovation? Nope. Konfabulator's been doing it
for a couple years. And its pretty awesome.
3) TinkerTool (http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html) Awesome
little app that accesses many of the system preferences directly, and
several undocumented ones, and ones that you can't access otherwise.
Nothing that'll kill your computer, but stuff that's nice to have.
4) Cocktail (http://www.macosxcocktail.com/) I've only used it once,
but it was a lifesaver, and cleaned out lots of accumulated junk in
the system caches. It basically is a nice consolidated interface to
tweak more system tasks and stuff.
5) VLC (www.videolan.org/) works great on OS X, hassle-free way to
play DiVX, XViD, most Windows Media files and that sort of thing.

Cool, I had been meaning to kind of put together a list of my
"Essential Mac Apps" for a while, so thanks for giving me a chance to
do it!

And welcome! Those little 12" Powerbooks are nice little machines!

~ian